Close to the M6 and the Ship Canal, the Old Church is secluded and peaceful. Possibly Saxon in origin, the building is a fine timber framed church of various dates, but in 1645 some walls were rebuilt in stone, and then some brick in 1711 when the south east tower was added.
The bell in the tower is Elizabethan. Inside wood predominates and timber uprights divide the aisles. The fitting are notable, especially the Jacobean communion rails and pulpit. The box pews date from 1813, but look older.
Replaced as the parish church in 1833, this is still a cherished place of antiquity and holiness, which is now looked after by the Churches Conservation Trust. The churchyard surrounding the old church is the burial ground for the parish.
There are services held in the old church during the summer months. There are morning services on Sundays in May and September, and two Evensongs at 6:30pm on the last Sundays in May and July.
Full details can be found in the Calendar and Magazine.
The Churches Conservation Trust organizes various events through the year.